Looks Pretty Good To Me...

there is a number of small things /

Saturday, March 29, 2008

MFA blues

So I got no funding from Temple. Nor, for that matter, an information packet. So I don't really know if I want to go to that school, mainly because they haven't really communicated much with me. I Don't even know how much tuition is for a year. So. Ok. That was kind of depressing, but I guess I am sort of getting over it. It's not that I am like expecting a free ride or anything, it's just that I have had a lot of success in one avenue (publishing) and not very much in another (graduate school). It's hard to really come to terms with that... I mean, obviously, it's awesome that I've done some publishing, but it's weird how sometimes success doesn't translate to success in other areas, and its especially weird to try to understand what that problem in translation actually means in terms of my writing.

So I am now deciding between Temple and New School. I got drunk at the last Vox poetry meeting and somehow started talking to Noah Eli Gordon about the schools, and he thinks Temple is definitely better, but, at the same time, a lot of people like New School. Yes, I got drunk at the last Vox reading. On PBR. There was a 15 minute period where bottles were 1$, so I had three. Then I talked to several important young poets. Wasted. I was embarrassed. Still kind of am. I was totally nervous about talking to those writers. Thats what did it.

Ha. That's a weird story.

Listening to Elton John now, it's 2 am. I'm kind of tired, but I slept some earlier, so I'll probably be up for a while. Now listening to the Rolling Stone's song Beast of Burden. Never cared too much for the rolling stones, but damn this is a good song. its funny, cause I just started liking this song, but I bet I'll like it for a long time now. that's a strangely comfortable feeling. probably like it for the rest of my life.

2 Comments:

At 2:56 PM , Blogger Ryan Downey said...

i participated in making ian drunk. i sabotaged you! no. it was good. you got cheaper books than me. good job on lamination colony. i sent chapbook manuscript out to Diagram/NMP contests and to Mipoesias chapbook thing today. I never submit work anymore. Fuck march. April will be better.

Temple is playing an elaborate joke on you. New School is cooler anyways.

 
At 9:06 PM , Blogger Ian Davisson said...

that is a good idea. do you have to pay money?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home